Saturday, October 17, 2015

Museum In Telkwa British Columbia


Above Photo: Sign for the Museum In Telkwa, British Columbia.

On my many travels around northern British Columbia, I have passed the Telkwa Museum most likely a few hundred times and have never stopped in to see what the museum has for Telkwa's history. 

Finally when I did stop by this past September, the museum was of course closed for the year. Although I wasn't able to view the artifacts which are inside, there still was some interesting items outside on display.


I have posted a few pictures below that can be viewed outside along Highway 16. There also is another area on the grounds which is fenced off, behind the fence you can see a number of really cool machines from the past. 


Above Photo: Farm plough.

One for example, the "Small Butter Churn". Actually, it is a pretty good sized machine. There is a information sign along with it and the butter churn comes from the Telkwa Creamery.

The Creamery was built in 1939 and it was powered by steam, and the the steam came from coal fired boiler, and the coal from local coal mines in the area. 


Above Photo: Small Butter Churn, sorry I don't have a better picture of it, 
this item was behind a fence.

Also they have a hand cranked Ice Cream maker, an old sawmill, and a wringer washing machine. 

I have a little story about such wringer washing machine, I am almost 64 years of age and I can remember my mom doing the wash when I was just a little guy. I was always told to keep away from the washing machine, as it has rollers in which you place the clothes through to squeeze out the excess water. 

Well one day I got the idea in my head to help my mom with the laundry, so I grabbed a few things and started feeding them through the rollers. The next thing I knew my hand and arm were going through the rollers. 

I started yelling, my mom came running in, in a panic, pulled out the power cord which shut down the washing machine. There was still one problem, she could not get the rollers to release, so in comes my Dad, beats on the rollers and they finally opened up and they were able to get my arm out. I went to the hospital, from there I can't remember a thing about it, other than I still have the scar from the bandages that were applied to my arm.


Above Photo: An old road grader.

The museum is small, and like others across British Columbia, it is seasonal, operating from June through to August from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 


Above Photo: Farm tractor.

Anyway, next year when the museum is open, I will be dropping in and I will post on what I find.

You can pay a visit to the Telkwa, British Columbia Museum.

If you have a picture or story you would like to share on the Travel British Columbia with Brian Vike blog, please contact me at b_vike@telus.net

Travel British Columbia with Brian Vike.

Travel Houston, British Columbia with Brian Vike.

No comments:

Post a Comment